Wednesday, October 21, 2020

One rainy afternoon!

One rainy afternoon, while I was lounging around at a favorite watering hole of mine, one Bobby Carter breezed in holding a plastic bag out in front of his body. And, I noticed that whatever was inside had evidently also garnered the attention of a few flies.

“Y'all want these here streaks?”, Bobby asked as he strode up to the bar. “They come all the way from Nixa!”

I glanced from looking up at Bobby, down to the bag he had placed just below my nose and frowned. A rather unpleasant order had begun an assault on my senses and at that exact moment, I understood why the flies had so much apparent interest!

“Steaks? What sort of steaks?” I asked with some interest.

Smiling, Booby plunked the bag down on the bar and intoned.... 'Why, my semi-inebriated friend, this here's three, count em, three one pounder T-boners!”

Wow, I thought, as I placed a hand on the package. “ Hey! These steaks are frozen!”

'Yes sir”, Bobby responded with a smile. “ Them there slab of beef has been frozen for like a whole year!” He knocked his knuckles on the package producing a dull thump for emphasis. 'They might even had a touch of freezer burns and so that's why they're also free!”

“Well, I guess I'll take em anyways”, I responded. “DanO never passes up a good piece of meat!” I also had realized that the odor must have been coming from somewhere else.

----------------------- I got home later that day, and tossed two of the steaks in my freezer, while positioning the third one in the refrigerator to thaw. Before doing that, I did weight the steak and found it came to 17 ounces. Wow!

The next day, that steak was still partly frozen but a close inspection revealed no freezer burn at all. To say that I was thrilled would be an understatement. I decided to leave the meat in the fridge for one more day before attempting to grill and eat it.

-----------------------

S-Day – Standing for 'Steak Day' had arrived! I wanted to do things right, so I had planned to grill that behemoth steak over a hot charcoal fire. This was going to be the first time all year I'd grilled out and so it was sort of a special occasion.

Outside, the weather had turned quite warm for the time of year, about 80 or so by early afternoon. I had positioned a small grill on a metal table on the balcony of my third floor condo and was waiting for the charcoal briquettes to get hot. Over in the kitchen was a single Russet potato that was baking in a portable convection oven. Life was good.

Before you could read page one of a novelette, the steak was done along with a potato that had been in the oven for about 35 minutes. I grabbed it and threw it on a plate before going out to recuse the now slightly rare steak from getting overdone. I then sat down on a couch next to a coffee table and proceeded to chow down.

How was that steak? It was audacious, great tasting and all that it could be! Yes sir, that steak when added to a baked potato and salad, was everything the average man craves in the way of memorable meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment